Monday, November 21, 2016

Thanksgiving in Difficult Times

Credit: Flickr
“Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever.” Psalm 107:1

I witness the evidence of bounty all around and yet, here before me on my desk are the prayers of many which do not necessarily reflect the meaning of a happy thanksgiving.  Life has a way of moving at its own seasons and not what we observe because of a date on a calendar.

One can easily become overwhelmed by the harshness, confusion, and sadness of life. So on this particularly day I entered the sanctuary and became dependent upon God my hope and strength.

With the darkness of night beginning to capture my space the only light I was drawn to was the only light within this holy place. The lights behind the cross that illuminated for me the very presence of Him who is the light of the world, for as the Gospel of John reads, “The light (the light of Jesus ~ read John 12:44-46) shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it” (John 1:5 ESV).

While imprisoned in a Roman jail Paul declared, “The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your mind in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:5-7).

How can we even give such thanksgivings in the midst of such trials? Simply, because our God will always carry us through the storms!

My friends it is not always what we see that is real, but what we don’t see and believe! For I believe that my “help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth” (Psalm 121:2). I believe in a God who sits on a throne and declares to me, “when you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the fire, you not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy one of Israel, your Savior” (Isaiah 43:2-3).

Friends, I believe in a God who walks with me through the valley and tells me to be “strong and courageous” (Joshua 1:6). I believe in a God who is my shield (Psalm 3:3) and chose to die in my place and take upon Himself the entire penalty of sin, which should have belonged to me. I believe in a God who says, “come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28) and when I am weak God makes me strong.

In those moments of doubt, I have the authority to announce to those around me with confidence that my God is always with me, remembering His very promise, “never will I leave you; never will I forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5).This is our thanksgiving!

As we approach this holiday in just a few days with all its Christmas advertisements, football, fellowship, and food, PAUSE and reflect upon the real reason for thanksgiving and celebrate the God who sent to us His son Jesus, the Christ, in order to rescue us!

What greater outlandish love is there? Happy Thanksgiving to all in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment