Monday, February 13, 2017

Witnessing the Church

Photo from Flickr

If you and I were sitting together around a table and enjoying our favorite coffee, and in the process of our dialogue the topic of church came up, how might you respond to the question, “where do you go to church?” It seems like a fairly simple answer, but be careful. You might look at me and say, “Well I attend _________ on __________street.” You can fill in the blanks.

The answer is actually that the Church, as the New Testament defines it, is not a religious institution or building, but rather a dynamic community of believers who participate in the way of Jesus and His work in the world for the glory of God. Defined another way, Church is you and I as an organic collective of believers, centered on Jesus and sent out into the world to serve others in His name for His glory and the growth of His kingdom. This theme is derived from the Greek word used to define the Church, which is Ecclesia. It literally means “the gathering of the called out ones.” It comes from two Greek words, “ek,” meaning “out,” and “kaleo,” meaning “to call.”

To provide an example, allow me to share this story. A few Saturdays ago three others and I had the privilege to visit a local care facility and be the reflection of Christ, His Church, to those who rarely have the opportunity to leave the facility in which they currently dwell. In the process we went from room to room praying with the residents and offering them the love and hope of Jesus. I can honestly tell you that I witnessed a total transformation of their hearts. Where there was loneliness, they felt comfort. Where there was brokenness, they found identity in Christ. Where there had been sadness, I witnessed happiness. Even though some may have begun the morning quiet and still; now I saw smiles and a willingness to share.

This is being the Church. It had nothing to do with my friends or me, but it was a gathering of believers, focused on Jesus and sent to serve Him! In the process we saw our Redeemer enter and alter the environment, bringing life.

So today, consider the times and spaces God places you, and ask yourself to whom or where can you be His reflection of love and hope to this broken world?

No comments:

Post a Comment